A travel trend for 2024 is visiting “destination dupes,” alternative destinations for popular places. These five places with a European feel are easily accessible and more affordable than traveling across the pond:
• New Orleans for France – The Big Easy maintains its French heritage with its cuisine and Creole culture.
• Colorado for Switzerland – Visitors come for the snow-capped mountains and skiing.
• Boston for Great Britain – The city boasts urban parks and London-influenced design.
• St. Augustine for Spain – Spanish-influenced cuisine and architecture from Spain’s 200-year rule.
• Orange County in Virginia for Italy – Dozens of excellent wineries nestled in the Blue Ridge foothills.
– Staff report, The Travel 100